I made these for Valentines Day for the family. They are delicious, best with a bowl of ice cream or a glass of dessert wine. Definitely not something you will find on your trip to Italy.
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 jar of red food coloring (you will need 2 bottles if using the liquid kind you find at the grocery store)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
*Don’t freak out, there is no butter in this recipe*
1. Heat the oven to 350°.
2. Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, food coloring, baking powder and salt.
3. Lightly beat eggs in a separate bowl, then add to flour mixture and mix until combined. I found this recipe was very crumbly, so I would not add the full 3 cups of flour unless it is really doughy.
4. Fold in white chocolate chips.
5. Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, form each half into a log that is 3½ inches by 9 inches. Place the logs on a heavy-duty baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until the tops are set.
6. Reduce the oven to 300°. Let the logs cool (this is a crumbly recipe so the longer you let the logs cool the better and easier it will be to cut without breaking), then slice into 1/2-inch thick slices. With this recipe it is very important to let them cool otherwise it will crumble when cutting. Arrange the slices on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, carefully turn the slices over, and bake for another 8 minutes.
7. Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container or freeze.
Copyright 2012 Andi Brown, Once in a Lifetime Travel
Free Printable Packing List
Subscribe to our monthly travel newsletter and receive our packing list as a thank you.