Pecan and Candied Orange Biscotti
Candied orange peels are my new addiction and these really make this biscotti stand out!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 2 Tb Orange juice concentrate
- 2 to 2¼ cups flour
- zest of 1 orange
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped candied orange peel (see recipe below)
1. Heat the oven to 325°. Toast pecans on tray until golden, about 8 minutes. Cool.
2. Cream butter and sugar, then beat in the eggs until lightened, about two minutes.
3. Add the zest, orange juice concentrate into mixture.
4. Mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt just until combined. You should have a soft, but not sticky, dough. Add the extra 1/4 cup of flour if dough is too sticky. I usually have to add more. Fold in candied orange peel.
5. Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, form each half into a log that is 3½ inches by 9 inches. Place the logs on a heavy-duty baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops are set.
6. Reduce the oven to 300°. Let the logs cool, then slice into 1/2-inch thick slices. With this recipe it is very important to let them cool otherwise it will crumble when cutting. Arrange the slices on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, carefully turn the slices over, and bake for another 8 minutes.
7. Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container or freeze.
Candied Orange Peel
Peel 3 oranges thinning, making sure not to grab any of the white pith. Place peels in saucepan, cover with water and simmer 10 minutes. Drain. In saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar. Bring to a boil and cook until sugar is completely dissolved. Add peel and let simmer until liquid is absorbed. About 45 mins to an hour. Lift peel out and place on waxed paper to cool.
Copyright 2012 Andi Brown, Once in a Lifetime Travel
Free Printable Packing List
Subscribe to our travel newsletter & updates and receive our packing list as a thank you.