Biscotti Recipe: Week One – Peppermint Chip Chocolate Biscotti
For those of you that missed my previous post, my New Year’s Resolution this year is to make a new biscotti recipe every week. Take that weight watchers!
1 cup coarsely chopped Hershey’s Kisses Candy Cane (hurry, only available during the holidays!) plus approx 1 cup whole for drizzle
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 to 2¼ cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1. Heat the oven to 350°. Melt the butter and chocolate chips together (I put them in a Pyrex measuring cup and microwave them) and set aside.
2. Beat the eggs and sugar until lightened, about two minutes.
3. Add the vanilla and chocolate mixture.
4. Mix in the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt just until combined. You should have a soft, but not sticky, dough. Add the extra 1/4 cup of flour if dough is too sticky. I usually have to add more. Mix in peppermint chips.
5. Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, form each half into a log that is 3½ inches by 9 inches. Place the logs on a heavy-duty baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tops are set.
6. Reduce the oven to 275°. Let the logs cool, then slice into 1/2-inch thick slices. Arrange the slices on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, carefully turn the slices over, and bake for another 20 minutes.
7. Cool on a wire rack. Heat remaining peppermint chips in microwave on 70% power for 1-2 minutes, then drizzle over cooled biscotti. Store in an airtight container or freeze.
Copyright 2012 Andi Brown, Once in a Lifetime Travel
Free Printable Packing List
Subscribe to our travel newsletter & updates and receive our packing list as a thank you.