I am happy to announce that donations are now being accepted through Save Vernazza ONLUS, a non-profit Italian organization established by three amazing women. These ladies are incredibly resourceful and successful American women who have found themselves living in Vernazza and calling it home. Please take the time to read through their website and learn more about their passion for this cause.
I know that many of you have asked how to donate and have also voiced concern over where that money will actually end up. By donating through Save Vernazza, you can rest assured that 100% of the resources are going directly to the community. The current estimate to restore and rebuild Vernazza alone is 5 million euro, a sum which seems absolutely overwhelming to the people. Our support is crucial. Even the smallest amount will make a difference; currently the greatest needs are simple things like boots, warm socks and bottled water.
In addition to that, tourism is the dominant force in the village and without it they have little way to support themselves financially. Travel is another vital role we will play in this community. I encourage everyone who is planning a trip to Italy or knows someone who is: Go to the Cinque Terre. Stay in Vernazza. Most of the rooms were not effected by the mud and we can not let them stand empty next season. Things will be different next year, but that does not mean the experience of this amazing place will be lost.
I call out to everyone that has ever been touched by Vernazza. Go Back. Don’t write them off. To those that have always wanted to visit. Do Not Change Your Plans. Put Vernazza back on your itinerary.
Donations can be made directly from their website. Follow this link to Save Vernazza ONLUS
For more information on the disaster itself, including updated information, photos and videos please click here for my Vernazza page. Check back often as I plan to do all that I can to support and promote one of the most special places on earth to me.
Mille Grazie! Andi[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufMtG4w2hgU]
copyright 2011 Andi Brown Once in a Lifetime Travel
Christmas for Vernazza
This year the residents of Vernazza will be forced to celebrate their holidays away from their homes and their beloved town. Vernazza is still under a state of emergency until the hillsides are deemed safe among other tasks.
Many people have already stepped forward to help, but they still need us and what better time to give than right now. Below are several ways to help bring Vernazza’s people home.
- Donate directly to Save Vernazza here
- Buy a copy of Magic Bridge, this book is the complete package….love, travel, death, fear and friendship. 20% goes to Save Vernazza. I’m reading it now and can’t wait to finish this post so I can go find out how this story ends!
- Gregory Berg of Enso Photography: “I’ve started a project to help SV: If you buy a Vernazza print from my online gallery, I’ll donate 100% of the proceeds to Save Vernazza ONLUS.”
- Andrew Handrick, musician and business owner in Vernazza: “Five Steps Instrumental CD was inspired by my time spent in Vernazza. On the morning of the disaster I was working in La Buatta ceramics shop in Vernazzza and was lucky to get the last train out minutes before the worst happened and as such I have decided to donate 70% of the download sales of the album from this site to the Save Vernazza fund.”
- Sherrill French of The French Palette: “Very special news today of a project near and dear to my heart! The first painting I ever sold was of Cinque Terre, Italy, a place I had dreamed of visiting. Just last month, I had the chance to spend a day there. As fate would have it, on that day the towns of Vernazza and Monterosso were all but destroyed by 20 inches of rain, mudslides, and unthinkable flooding. We were blessed to evacuate after 36 harrowing hours, but my heart is heavy for the devastation. To help the rebuilding efforts, I am starting a new series of paintings inspired by the beautiful Cinque Terre with ALL proceeds benefitting Save Vernazza! So long as there is work to do, I will continue to paint to help! First paintings coming very soon!”
- Include the Cinque Terre on your itinerary and receive 50$ off any service from Once in a Lifetime Travel. Must include at least one overnight in either Vernazza or Monterosso.
Free Printable Packing List
Subscribe to our travel newsletter & updates and receive our packing list as a thank you.