The estimated cost for rebuilding Vernazza is over 100 million Euro. The Italian government has allotted 65 million Euro to be divided amongst all disaster areas, as far reaching as Genova to Tuscany. Considering Italy’s dismal economy, we believe that Vernazza, a town of 500 people, will have to cover a substantial portion of these costs.
Save Vernazza, in keeping with our mission and after meeting with the Mayor and Town Council of Vernazza, will be concentrating its efforts in the following areas:
Muri a Secco: Project to rebuild the traditional dry stone walls which terrace the hillsides surrounding Vernazza, stabilizing the landscape and preventing further mudslides. In areas of severe instability, where more contemporary systems are required to ensure the town’s safety, the dry stone walls will act as masks. These walls were a key factor in UNESCO’s decision to grant Vernazza its World Heritage Site status.
Sentieri: Project to repair the hiking trails that connect Vernazza to Monterosso and Corniglia, as well as Trail 8 (from the Sanctuary of the Madonna di Reggio to the hamlet of San Bernadino) and Trail 7a (from Vernazza to the Sanctuary of the Madonna di Reggio).
“Let’s Rebuild Together”: Project to restore public spaces, buildings and public works in the historical center of Vernazza. The project will involve an oversight committee of experts to ensure that the reconstruction safeguards Vernazza’s historical integrity and architectural, aesthetic beauty. The goal is to maintain what UNESCO refers to as Vernazza’s characteristic appearance with its great scenic and cultural value. Examples include:
- Restoration of specific streets (via Roma, via Gavino, via Visconti)
- Restoration of Piazza Marconi
- Reconstruction of the Sports Fields
- Reconstruction of Fontanavecchia Bridge
- Reconstruction of Madonnina Bridge (via Visconti next to gelateria)
- New benches, trees, planters, children’s playground, etc.
Save Vernazza ONLUS is working closely with the Town of Vernazza to collect donations for “Let’s Rebuild Together” from generous individuals, corporations and foundations.
With your help, we look forward to restoring and preserving this magical village. Together we can make a difference.
Christmas for Vernazza
This year the residents of Vernazza will be forced to celebrate their holidays away from their homes and their beloved town. Vernazza is still under a state of emergency until the hillsides are deemed safe among other tasks.
Many people have already stepped forward to help, but they still need us and what better time to give than right now. Below are several ways to help bring Vernazza’s people home.
- Donate directly to Save Vernazza here
- Buy a copy of Magic Bridge, this book is the complete package….love, travel, death, fear and friendship. 20% goes to Save Vernazza. I’m reading it now and can’t wait to finish this post so I can go find out how this story ends!
- Gregory Berg of Enso Photography: “I’ve started a project to help SV: If you buy a Vernazza print from my online gallery, I’ll donate 100% of the proceeds to Save Vernazza ONLUS.”
- Andrew Handrick, musician and business owner in Vernazza: “Five Steps Instrumental CD was inspired by my time spent in Vernazza. On the morning of the disaster I was working in La Buatta ceramics shop in Vernazzza and was lucky to get the last train out minutes before the worst happened and as such I have decided to donate 70% of the download sales of the album from this site to the Save Vernazza fund.”
- Sherrill French of The French Palette: “Very special news today of a project near and dear to my heart! The first painting I ever sold was of Cinque Terre, Italy, a place I had dreamed of visiting. Just last month, I had the chance to spend a day there. As fate would have it, on that day the towns of Vernazza and Monterosso were all but destroyed by 20 inches of rain, mudslides, and unthinkable flooding. We were blessed to evacuate after 36 harrowing hours, but my heart is heavy for the devastation. To help the rebuilding efforts, I am starting a new series of paintings inspired by the beautiful Cinque Terre with ALL proceeds benefitting Save Vernazza! So long as there is work to do, I will continue to paint to help! First paintings coming very soon!”
- Include the Cinque Terre on your itinerary and receive 50$ off any service from Once in a Lifetime Travel. Must include at least one overnight in either Vernazza or Monterosso.
Free Printable Packing List
Subscribe to our travel newsletter & updates and receive our packing list as a thank you.